It's Been a Long Strange (but interesting) Trip Here

Thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself. The path that took me to your website is very unexpected and totally unplanned. I wasn’t even looking for this type of website (at least not consciously :wink:. This is a little long, thanks in advance to anyone who takes even a quick look.

A serendipitous event is probably the best way to describe how this feels to me. I don’t make any claim and I don’t feel that I am a “wanderer” in the typical sense but I have started to feel increasingly separated from normal day to day life. This doesn’t make day to day life easier as I’ve found that I am not very motivated to focus on the regular daily responsibilities. At the same time I’ve been losing my interest and motivation to stay on the “regular” path I’ve been feeling a greater pull to find some way to “fulfill my purpose”, to find ways to be of more service. Ideally, that would mean combining a way to make a living and fulfill my purpose at the same time.

My goal is to fulfill my purpose but I’m not entirely sure of how to do this. I very much appreciate the guidance you provide, as written below:

That does not necessarily translate to performing some great world service on an outer level. Rather, it is a service of being, a service of simply radiating who you are, shining the love and the light of the one Creator through your essential vibration.

This resonates with me as how I can be of service is a concept I struggle with. Thank you.

I think it would help if I provide some context as to how I found my way here. When I think back on it seems almost impossible to me. It was not very long ago that I would have laughed out loud at the idea that I would even consider even visiting your website let alone take the time to provide my input.

I come from a modest family in Eastern Canada. I’m a Gen Xer, born in 68. I was born to parents who were both from large Irish Catholic families and I naturally inherited a lot of my parents cultural perspectives and beliefs, including a strong Catholicism. My early years were pretty typical, church, boy scouts, sports. I was even an altar boy at Mass, as my parents had some early aspirations of me becoming a priest :blush:

I was heavily influenced by World War 2 Veterans early on. I lived in a neighborhood of vets, I had several relatives who were vets and a lot of my teachers and coaches were vets. I aspired to be like them as they represented to me very solid examples to follow.

So my background was pretty conservative overall. Our family struggled financially and it caused some hardships at home, including a lot of conflict between my parents. The one bad memory I have is of my parents fighting. My father moved down to the basement for a number of years and my parents didn’t interact at all, unless it was to fight. So that took it’s toll on myself and my 3 brothers.

And it motivated me to get away from home as soon as I could so I joined the army out of high school. That didn’t last to long and I switched to college where I I found an environment where I felt I fit in, I enjoyed academic work and continued on to get a Masters Degree.

I’ve always had a strong interest in history but somehow ended up majoring in Political Science and Economics, which inspired a lifelong interest in politics and economics as well. I found my motivation in college and tried to pursue a career in the Canadian Federal government. After a few experiences of working life in a government department I did a 180 and transferred into an MBA. I decided my inclination was more towards the private sector than the public sector.

I have been “fortunate” in my life to have encountered very good mentors and role models, despite the hardships at home. This good fortune continued when I joined the MBA. I needed a summer internship and my father contacted someone at one of the largest Canadian companies. I didn’t realize it at the time but even though we were economically poor, my father had some very wealthy and influential contacts. I got the internship and that internship gave me the experience that I am still benefitting from today.

This job eventually led to me a lucrative career working with leading consulting agencies and I far surpassed anything my parents experienced or expected from myself or my brothers. In 1998 Itransferred with work to the US and have been here since. I also ended up being the first person from both sides of my family to get a college degree and my example inspired my brothers to all complete college and have very successful careers of they’re own.

So I have a lot to be grateful for. I was also very fortunate for the people who came into my life. I was married to an incredible woman and we brought 2 amazing boys into the world. This was another unexpected “serendipitous” event. She is East Indian background and our engagement caused some consternation in my family as she was not Christian, let alone Catholic. Kind of a no-no in traditional Catholic families. But, damn the torpedoes, we went full steam ahead and married and had a great 10 years before life challenges really hit us. Her mother, who wanted her daughter to marry a well established Indian gentlemen, eventually grew to accept and embrace me. Thankfully, her grandmother was very supportive and was instrumental in our getting married and building a family.

My mother in law took ill with a fatal brain infection and passed on (hopefully to a higher level density :wink:) and that’s when the challenges started. My wife had relied on her mother to be her sounding board and support. Without her guidance the daily tensions and minor differences between us escalated and eventually led to her meeting another man. This was devastating to me and I went off the rails for a while and descended into self absorption and indulgence.

This went on for a while but eventually I pulled out of it, thanks to support from my family and my sons, who I spent a lot of time with. They were young hockey players so a lot of my weekend time was take going to hockey games, which prevented me from pursuing “less holistic” activities.

It took a long time but I eventually learned to accept what happened and understood my role in it. Acceptance is a magical thing. This came after I found myself spending more time on my own reflecting, instead of chasing distractions and self indulgences.

Another serendipitous moment came one day I was browsing the book store. Normally I always browse history, current affairs but this particular day I found myself wandering down the Spiritual/Self Improvement aisle. These types of books never interested me. I actually thought most of it was crap. Somehow my attention was directed to a small book on a lower shelf. I picked it up and decided to give it a chance. This was The Power of Now by Eckhardt Tolle. This is the kind of book I would have laughed at a couple years before but I guess I was ready for it. That was my first step to a better awareness and acceptance of what life bring and learning to appreciate and be more grateful for the blessings I did have. As usually happens when you become open to a different way of thinking other sources appear. I read a couple of Tolle’s books, listened to podcasts and found my way to Stoic philosophy, thanks to The Daily Stoic website. Somewhere along this path I also came across – don’t recall how – an interview with “Hidden Hand”. I read this with interest but was fairly skeptical. The one thing that caught my attention was the importance of service to others over service to self. This was something that had been percolating inside me for a while but I was definitely not acting on it, other than focusing on my kids, I was still very much in my own head.

Interestingly once I started the process of personal reflection I met my second wife and we shared a lot of similar interests in personal evolution. Unfortunately, that marriage ended in divorce as well but I dealt a lot better with that break up than I did with the first one. I truly loved her and did everything I could for her and her family so my conscious is totally clear and acceptance came a lot easier. One unexpected benefit of that break up was that pushed me further into self-reflection and a greater desire to keep evolving and to share my learnings and experiences.

That was several years ago and it has been a gradual evolution but I feel I am getting closer to where I need to be. Practicing the Stoic concepts has helped me evolve in the right direction. I’ve become more accepting of whatever life brings, I feel I’m more aware of my own thinking and perceptions, at least I try to be more aware. My challenge is I feel I need to be more active in serving others so I have attempted to extend myself more, for example volunteering for a prison ministry, signing up and taking training for a suicide hotline, though I didn’t complete it in time and still have not actually become a “Crisis counsellor”. I need to “walk the talk” more. Action eliminate doubt is a maxim I truly believe but need to exercise more deliberately in my own life.

I very much appreciate the opportunity to share my story with you and hope it contributes to the greater “database” in a positive way.

Thank You

9 Likes

Same with me. Glad you are here.

3 Likes

Thanks, appreciate it!

Up North East way, that reminds me of
this lyric improv for session 3.

NORTH BY NORTHEAST
(Song beat similar to Deep Purple,
Smoke On The Water)

We put artifacts by her head
A sense of peace and paradise
Take caution to guard against
Those who don’t wish to serve
Energizing from low to high
A balance found without fatigue
Blend your energy carefully
A granite capstone lost its bed

North by Northeast
Aligning twenty degrees
North by Northeast

Our intelligent energy
dimensional infinity
Balanced bodies embrace us
Ascended in a hierarchy
Everlasting rock of thought form
Infinity sends requests
Cooperation is found inborn
One creator, graces us best

North by Northeast
Aligning twenty degrees
North by Northeast

Faith is commonly stumbling
If measurements you prefer
Growing laws of progression
Love, light, one, then forever
Distorting one for confusion
Your free will may seem clever
Initiate if you’re wishing to serve
One for mind, then body is learned

North by Northeast
Aligning twenty degrees
North by Northeast

1 Like

Appreciate you sharing this. Was this song every published? Looked for it but no luck. Would be amazing to hear it played. Lyrics are incredible!

Thanks for sharing your story. It’s always nice to hear of another seeker’s journey.

How interesting that you also came across the Hidden Hand interview. A few individuals have also included the Hidden Hand interview in their wanderer stories, including Patrick and myself.

Coming from a Lutheran background, I initially encountered difficulty accepting channeled materials as a legitimate source of information. Did you encounter a similar difficulty on your journey?

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your message. I havn’t looked at the channelings here yet. I’ve seen a few on YouTube but didn’t really resonate with me.
I’d like to think that I am open enough to believe in “the art of the possible”. I don’t recall how I came across the Hidden Hand interview but I remember my initial instinct was negative. I’ve heard of the Illuminati and some of the “theories” around them. I read the interview more out of a “morbid curiosity”. Initially I thought it was somebody having fun with gullible people but the more I read I was surprised to find that some key messages seemed very similar to Stoic concepts - which I was getting familiar with at the same time.
The idea that we only control how we respond so it’s crucial we learn to respond the right way. The importance of service to others and contributing in a positive way. These ideas really hit home and convinced me there must be some truth in this interview.
I recently bought the book about the interview and am re-reading it and thats where I found the link to this website. Coincidence? HH would say no I think😎
I totally understand how you’re Lutheran training would make it harder to accept and understand the ideas here. I wonder how my father - who was a devout Catholic - would react to my “curiosity” in these matters? Wouldn’t be a happy camper I think.
All I know is that a lot of what I am re-reading in that interview makes a lot of sense to me now, especially as I’ve had a few years to digest some new ways of thinking and have to learn that one of the most important things for me to do is to learn to think and act and live beyond myself. Easy to say, hard to do.
I would really appreciate any reading recommendations you might have. I’m also hoping to join a discussion group if there are any.
Thanks again for reaching out.

1 Like

It’s funny how that works. I’m rereading the HH interview for the first time in quite a while, and different pieces of information are popping out this time.

Well, the best place to start is The Ra Contact. The quality of Ra’s words are unparalleled, as HH notes. Following that chain, Ra notes that the Bible contains the most information about the Law of One of traditional spiritual literature.

I see a few different paths from here:

• You might dig into the conscious channeling library, which will keep you busy for many years to come. Note there are many different entities channeled over the years, each with their own unique perspective. The L/L Research website has a handy search tool, if you’re interested in specific topics. There’s something like 1700 transcripts since the 1970s, so the breadth of coverage is impressive.
  • Certain concepts presented by Ra can be difficult to grasp. To that end, I recommend the L/L Research concept guide, which provides a non-authoritative but well-informed perspective on the Law of One.

There’s a long-running thread on this forum about a weekly discussion group. I’ve never personally attended.

2 Likes

Another “coincidence” is I started reading the Old Testament” a few months ago, just out of curiosity. I read the New Testsment before that and found a lot of “life advice” there. HH refers directly to s few of these principles in the interview.
Old Testament is a bit different, Proverbs has a lot of “life advice” but the early books - Genesis to Deuteronomy present a definitely harsher version of “God” then the NT. Not sure you’ve heard of the comedian Lewis Black - he’s a Jewish comedian and he’s made some funny jokes about the Bible and keep thinking of his jokes when I read some of the Old Testsment.
Anyway, I noticed HH refers to some books that are not part of the “approved” Bible. He isn’t specific but I suspect he’s referring to books like Nichodenus, Enoch and possibly Gospel of Thomas.
Now I have to start looking at the Ra material. Wish there was a corse or some structured way to look at this. I’m thinking reading the HH interview will give me some perspective to begin with.

1 Like

The OT and the NT are indeed very different in their overall approaches. You’ll sometimes hear the OT called the “Law” and the NT the “Gospel”. Whereas the OT presents a physical circumcision, the NT covers the establishment of the “new covenant” which is a “circumcision of the heart”, not the body. The two testaments represent related but distinct theological perspectives, and the presentation of the OT as “darkness” and the NT as the “light” is highly interesting and worthy of reflection upon, especially since there’s clearly “law” in the NT and “gospel” in the OT, which means the Bible is yin-yang in nature. But I digress.

It’s difficult to know to which unapproved books HH refers, as there are many: Apocalypse of Elijah, Apocalypse of Ezra, Book of Enoch, Book of the Giants, Gospel of Judas, Gospel of Mary, Gospel of Philip, Gospel of Thomas, Secret Book of John, and those collected in “The Forgotten Books of Eden” by Rutherford Platt.

As far as a course goes, the L/L Research folks put together a video series neatly explaining the core of the Law of One materials, which you can find here (I recommend starting at Episode 6). I’ve found these materials helpful as an introduction.

Thanks for the video recommendations. They are helpful. Having just re-read the HH interview helps a lot actually, gives me the context I need to understand the ideas. Now I am convinced HH is the “real deal”.
Interesting you mention “curcumcusion of the heart” I just came across that term in Deuteronomy just last night. Moses is referring (I believe) to the “stuff-necked” Israelites and how they need to open their hearts more to Gods calling.
Interesting side note: years ago I was listening to a minister speak on the radio and he mentioned that the First Commandment is to to love God.
I never fully understood this idea but the Minister clarified it. He said you love God by loving your neighbor. How do you “love” your neighbor? By being of service. Wow. This brought me right back to the HH interview. Find ways to be of service in everyday little ways. Just amazing how all these experiences have built on each other!