Ceremonial Magic

Fellow Seekers, I’m curious as to what is required to do the kind of work that Don, Carla, and Jim managed to do with Ra. Have any of you had any experiences with ceremonial magic, Golden Dawn tradition or otherwise?

It’s something I’ve begun looking into, but I get the sense that it may require more focus and dedication than I have at the moment. I find the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram to be a good entryway for basic energetic work, but beyond that I’ve often wondered what specific characteristic of service-to-others one would be acting on, since our path gets so much of its definition and power from acceptance. What could be less accepting and more manipulative than to alter the stage settings behind the curtains? Yet we know there are positive traditions of ritual magic, so it’s a bit of conundrum for me. Those of Q’uo offered some comments to my group on this subject, and while I don’t think they solve the riddle, they certainly provide clues (I’m not allowed to share this Confederation material on this site, but privately message me for details).

1 Like

I think it’s fair to say that LLR’s concern with what you call “magic” has been comparatively shallow all through its history. There was interest in healing expressed by Prof. Elkins in the hopes of improving the health of Carla R., but this was never followed up on. They all are concerned about protection from negative entities – and Jim does the banishing ritual every day – but beyond that I know of no interest in this matter on their part.

My view is that neophytes are drawn to this concept because it seems formulaic, and thus approachable, but in a larger sense, it is simply one more avenue into the deeper self. I consider it a self-evident truism that a person should choose whichever avenue towards the goal suits them best, not necessarily that which seems facile.

What you would be looking is a pathway leading between night & day, between waking & sleep, between the outward looking, conscious self & the inward looking, subconscious self.

The major obstacle is that all the fearful things we don’t want to know about, we’ve stuffed into our subconscious, therefore we have a strong incentive to avoid bringing the light of inquiry into the darkness. Just look at the fact that Jeremy is forbidden, he says, from quoting channeled material which is not embraced by LLR. Why not hold up the candle of inquiry up to the unknown? Fear, I would guess, is the answer to that, fear of…something.

I’m not here to derogate any one. I’m trying to point out that the path of Truth involves exactly that: Truth. “Magical” working is – or should be – an exercise in truth, that is, in the deepest truth you can find within your being. I can all but promise you that this does not look like fear. It looks like love.

1 Like

I think many church ceremonies might be
considered a form of high magic. I think
the reason it is considered high magic may
relate to an illusion of separation with
things like low elementals, i.e. fire, water,
earth, air, and spirit or aether symbolized
by a pentacle. Betsy Ross influenced
the inclusion of the Pentacle on the first
American flag, as a magical symbol.
I’d argue the American dollar proudly
carries the roots of Masonry forward in
some magical way - as if people who
trade American dollars are actually in
a practice of magic at work. There’s
also the four directions which along
with the clock are almost universally
recognized. There’s a big G symbol
framed by a square and compass,
that might carry magical significance.

1 Like

Hail to Ishtar my sister
I call upon you
Fill my being with the core of true love of the creator
Let all fear dissipate
Lead me in truth.
By the virtues of ma’at may I fly

Let’s remember Ra’s definition of magic.
Is to change consciousness at will.
Working with the unmanifested self.
what is unmanifested in the self that needs to be manifested, what purpose or reason to change.
Is this miracle of existence, not magic enough?
Well
The orgasmic bliss of feeling like you are on a 500 ug acid trip mixed with dmt. The love beaming and flowing out to the totality endless for weeks, months. The knowledge and wisdom to act with due diligence.
A charged space. Developing beneficial relationships with the consciousness in matter.
Self liberation
Might be a hoot and is very dangerous
None of it is needed, never practice alone and be totally real and honest with the self.
Those friends can have big asks .
Those entities of the cardinal directions,

Iets contemplate the geography and geometry of the mind shuttling to and from the spirit. From the point to the circle, to the sphere to the hyper sphere to ad infinitum . By the law of one, every point and every pointlessness is the entirety of creator/creation/cocreators in dynamic tension.

At the heart of the self is the creator
At the heart of consciousness is the creator
What can’t the creator do . It can’t do nothing.
So might as well do something

Lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu

Badam atsu
So be it, be it so
Ammon
Adonai
One love infinite creators

There is wisdom in being cautious, I agree. However, I believe it’s possible to have an attitude of acceptance while still exercising our freewill and retaining a sense of personal self-determination. High ritual magic isn’t necessarily an attempt to control reality, but an attempt to energetically unite the Microcosm with Cosmic Macrocosm, derive healing, protection, guidance, power to serve, and experience the joy of Intelligent Infinity. As with all fields of study and practices, it’s all in the intention. I recommend Damien Echols “High Magick” or Donald Michael Kraig “Modern Magick”. They’ve been really helpful resources to me for understanding the theory behind alot of metaphysical practices.